It's been a while since I last shared a professional update. I've been feeling like it was long overdue for an update of some kind, in addition to a "re-launch" of this website (along with a fresh new domain and a ground-up rebuild, which I'll discuss separately 🙂). Here's a quick TLDR of what I've been working on for the past 5 years:
From 2017 to 2019 I worked on the Commerce Engineering team at
Venmo. I helped ship some awesome stuff, like:
- The first version of the "Venmo Card" iOS integration.
- Worked with the wider PayPal organization in bringing "Pay With Venmo" into the realm of checkout payment experience options.
- Generally helped improve the shopping and external payment experience of the Venmo iOS app.
- Built some internal tools that I think are still in use today under the hood.
From August 2019 to July of 2022 I worked on a number of engineering teams at
culminating in the iOS Platform team. I was a part of the team's insane growth through pre to post IPO, and got the chance to work on a number of things:
- Helped scale the iOS team and codebase from 6 engineers to nearly 30.
- Shipped the first version of the iOS Savings experience (Affirm's first non-loan product).
- Led a ground up rewrite of the app launch architecture.
- Worked on internal iOS tools, infrastructure and architecture. Helped build and maintain the CI/CD and app release automation suite.
- Led the initial mobile international project, getting the iOS and Android apps ready for international expansion.
Which abruptly brings me to today. I left Affirm in the middle of July, and have been experiencing some time off. I absolutely loved my time at Affirm, but had been feeling that it was time for a step back. Why? To put it bluntly: burnout. Being in a hyper connected, cross-time zone, platform engineering role takes a very real mental toll. Especially during a global pandemic.
For now, I'll be taking a break from full-time employment, enjoying the rest of the summer, and taking some time to recalibrate.